CEROC BLAZE CROATIA
13 - 20 May 2018
Situated on the western coast of Istria in Croatia, facing the Adriatic and boasting archipelago with 14 islands, Rovinj, or Rovigno in Italian, is a popular tourist resort and an active fishing port. It is considered to be Istria's star attraction. With a rich natural and cultural heritage, it remains one of the last true Mediterranean fishing ports.
The old town of Rovinj, with it's tightly packed houses, is contained within an egg-shaped peninsula. A tangle of cobbled streets leads to the hilltop church of St. Euphemia, whose towering steeple dominates the skyline.
Originally a settlement of Illyrian tribes it was captured by the Romans, who called it Arupinium or Mons Rubineus, and later Ruginium and Ruvinium.
Rovigno was eventually incorporated into the Byzantine Empire, before being taken over by the Frankish Empire in 788. In 1209 it was acquired by the Patriarchate of Aquileia under Wolfger von Erla, who was based in Aquileia, on the Adriatic coast in northeastern Italy.
From 1283 to 1797 Rovigno was one of the most important towns in Istria governed by the Republic of Venice. Built on an island close to the coast, it became connected to the mainland much later, in 1763, by filling in the channel.
Following the fall of Venice in 1797 and the ensuing Napoleonic wars, Rovigno became part of the Austrian Empire, which lasted until World War I. It then belonged to Kingdom of Italy from 1918 to 1947, when it was ceded to SFR Yugoslavia, as part of SR Croatia. The original town name Rovigno was then changed into Rovinj.
Following Croatia's independence in 1991, the town became one of the most important centers of Istria County.
Island Hotel Istra****
Island Hotel Istra is a traffic free oasis of sea and sun, wonderful beaches and secluded spots, and only a 15min boat ride from Rovinj.
Located on St Andrew's Island, this secluded, forested island is one of the 14 islands that make up the Rovinj archipeleago. The hotel is set in a former Benedictine monastery, which was established in the 6th century, and overlooks the Adriatic Sea.
The hotel offer 326 rooms in the main building offering a unique comfort in the pristine nature of the Island of St. Andrew.
All rooms are equipped with:
For more information on the hotel please visit their website here.